Unit 22. Will/shall 2
We do not use will to say what somebody has already arranged or
decided to do in the future:
(использование will/shall 2)
- Ann is working next week. (not Ann will work)
- Are you going to watch television this evening? (not will you watch)
But often, when we talk about the future, we are not talking about what somebody has decided to do. For example:
|CHRIS: Do you think Ann will pass the exam?
JOE: Yes, she'll pass easily.
"She'll pass" does not mean "she has decided to pass". Joe is saying what he knows or thinks will happen. He is predicting the future.
When we predict a future happening or situation, we use will/won't.
- Jill has been away a long time. When she returns, she'll find a lot of changes.
- "Where will you be this time next year?" "I'll be in Japan."
- That plate is very hot. If you touch it, you'll burn yourself.
- Tom won't pass the examination. He hasn't worked hard enough for it.
- When will you know your exam results?
(I) don't think
|I'll probably be home late this evening.
I haven't seen Carol today. I expect she'll phone this evening.
Don't worry about the exam. I'm sure you'll pass.
Do you think Sarah will like the present we bought her?
I don't think the exam will be very difficult.
I wonder what will happen.
After (I) hope, we generally use the present:
- I hope Carol phones this evening.
- I hope it doesn't rain tomorrow.
- Don't phone Ann now. She'll be busy. (= I know she'll be busy now)
Normally we use shall only with I and we.
You can say I shall or I will (I'll), we shall or we will (we'll):
- I shall be tired this evening. (or I will be …)
- We shall probably go to Scotland for our holiday. (or We will probably go …)
- We'll probably go to Scotland.
- I shan't be here tomorrow. (or I won't be …)
- She will be very angry. (not she shall be)
(использование will/shall 1).
See Unit 23. I will and I'm going to
(использование I will и I'm going to).
See Unit 24. Will be doing and will have done
(использование will be doing и will have done).
See Appendix 7. American English
(американский диалект). хостинг для сайтов © Langust Agency 1999-2020, ссылка на сайт обязательна