Unit 57. myself/yourself/himself etc.
- I cut myself with a knife. (not ‘I cut me’)
- She fell off her bicycle but she didn't hurt herself.
- Do you sometimes talk to yourself when you are alone?
- If you want some more food, help yourselves.
- Did they pay for themselves or did you pay for them?
- ‘Did you all have a nice time?’ ‘Yes, we enjoyed ourselves.’
- by myself/by yourself etc. = alone
- I went on holiday by myself. (= I went on holiday alone.)
- She wasn't with her friends. She was by herself.
- -selves and each other
|- I looked at myself and Tom looked at himself.
= We looked at ourselves (in the mirror).
I looked at Tom and he looked at me.
= We looked at each other.
|- Jill and Ann are good friends. They know each other very well.
(= Jill knows Ann and Ann knows Jill.)
- Paul and I live near each other.
(= Paul lives near me and I live near him.)