Unit 5. Past Simple (I did)
Study this example situation:
(простое прошедшее время)
|Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart was an Austrian musician and composer.
He lived from 1756 to 1791. He started composing at the age of five
and wrote more than 600 pieces of music. He was only 35 years old
when he died.
Lived/ started/ wrote/ was/ died are all Past Simple.
Very often the Past Simple ends in -ed (regular verbs);
- I work in a travel agency now. Before that I worked in a shop.
- We invited them to our party but they decided not to come.
- The police stopped me on my way home last night.
- She passed her examination because she studied very hard.
But many verbs are irregular. The Past Simple does not end in -ed. For example:
|write → wrote||
|see → saw||
|go → went||
|shut → shut||
In questions and negatives we use did/ didn't + infinitive (enjoy/ see/ go etc.):
- "Did you go out last night?" "Yes, I went to the cinema but I didn't enjoy the film much."
- "When did Mr Thomas die?" "About ten years ago."
- They didn't invite her to the party, so she didn't go.
- "Did you have time to write the letter?" "No, I didn't."
- What did you do at the weekend? (not what did you at the weekend)
- I didn't do anything. (not I didn't anything)
- I was angry because they were late.
- Was the weather good when you were on holiday?
- They weren't able to come because they were so busy.
- Did you go out last night or were you too tired?
See Unit 12. When…? and How long…? For and since
See Unit 13. Present Perfect and Past (1) (I have done and I did)
See Unit 14. Present Perfect and Past (2) (I have done and I did) хостинг для сайтов © Langust Agency 1999-2020, ссылка на сайт обязательна