Unit 18. Used to (do)
Study this example situation:
(использование used to do)
|Dennis stopped smoking two years ago. He doesn't smoke any more.
But he used to smoke.
He used to smoke 40 cigarettes a day.
He used to smoke = he smoked regularly for some time in the past, but he doesn't smoke now. He was a smoker, but now he isn't.
Something used to happen = something happened regularly in the past but no longer happens:
- I used to play tennis a lot but I don't play very often now.
- Diane used to travel a lot. These days she doesn't go away so often.
- "Do you go to the cinema very often?" "Not now, but I used to." (= I used to go …)
- This building is now a furniture shop. It used to be a cinema.
- I used to think he was unfriendly but now I realise he's a very nice person.
- I've started drinking coffee recently. I never used to like it before.
- Janet used to have very long hair when she was a child.
|he used to smoke
|we used to live
|there used to be
- We used to live in a small village but now we live in London.
- There used to be four cinemas in the town. Now there is only one.
- Did you use to eat a lot of sweets when you were a child?
- I didn't use to like him. (or I used not to like him.)
(прошедшее продолженное время)):
- I used to watch TV a lot. (= I watched TV regularly in the past, but I no longer do this)
- I was watching TV when the phone rang. (= I was in the middle of watching TV)
(использование данных оборотов)). The structures and meanings are different:
- I used to live alone. (= I lived alone in the past but I no longer live alone)
- I am used to living alone. (= I live alone and I don't find it strange or new because I've been living alone for some time)
(использование данных оборотов).
See Unit 60. Be/get used to something (I'm used to …)
(использование данных оборотов). хостинг для сайтов © Langust Agency 1999-2020, ссылка на сайт обязательна