Do not say “the” for general ideas:
- I like music. (= music in general)
- I like classical music. (= classical music in general)
- We don't eat meat very often. (not “the meat”)
- Life is not possible without water. (not “the life / the water”)
- I hate examinations. (= examinations in general)
- Do they sell foreign newspapers in that shop?
- I'm not very good at writing letters.
Do not say “the” for games and sports:
- My favourite sports are tennis and skiing. (not “the tennis / the skiing”)
Do not say “the” for languages or academic subjects (history/geography/biology/physics etc.):
- Do you think English is difficult? (not “the English”)
- Tom's brother is studying physics and chemistry.